How about a lovely distraction? During a(n ongoing) tequila kick, the interwebs led me to the following delicious cocktail, the Bee Sting! It has been tested and approved of by persons such as large groups of my friends, older radical lesbians, and significant others' family members. Suffice to say: vetted. And while special tequila is a delight, it is not a requirement. Give it a whirl! Also, super boozy.
Official Ingredients (per single cocktail, expand as necessary):
1.5 oz (reposado) Tequila
.75 oz honey syrup
.75 oz lemon juice
jalapeno chiles (serrano or other green chiles also work)
1) Make a honey syrup by blending honey and water in a 1:1 ratio over low heat on the stove. Stir until the two have completely blended, and set the mixture aside to cool. Honey is a miracle and doesn't go bad, so you can make this concoction ahead of time and keep it in the fridge for whenever you want to whip up a cocktail or dose a pot of tea.
2) Juice a bunch of lemons and get rid of the seeds.
3) Slice and de-seed your chiles, and add a few to the bottom of your shaker/mason jar/improv container. Mash these around with a muddler or a wooden spoon.
4) Add the tequila, honey syrup and lemon juice to the shaker, along with some ice.
6) Taste! (I always add more honey syrup here, but perhaps you are more h-core than I.)
7) Pour into glasses using a strainer, add a slice of chile to each glass, and serve!
Recipe from Rachael Davis of Lucy's Fried Chicken in Austin, Texas.
Accessed from seriouseats.com, and photo credit to Melody Fury.